Name: Love with Flaws
Writer/director: Ahn Shin Yoo / Oh Jin Suk
Date: November 2019
Number of episodes: 32 (30min each)
Genre: Comedy, Romance, Family, work, past-trauma
Based on book/manga?: No
Why did I press play? The plot sounded interesting and Ahn Jae Hyun has a strong onscreen presence and I wanted to check out his acting.
Thoughts and observations: It’s a modern and fresh drama that serves up something original without trying too hard.
- The comedic acting is on point. The actors have very little vanity and just commit to their roles. It’s particularly Kim Seul Gi and Heo Jung Min that elevate the caliber of comedy. I think Seul Gi was a comedian at some point.
- The variety of side stories, most of the supporting characters have fleshed out stories and we follow their lives. This is often more interesting than the main couple – especially after episode 6, because their story becomes predictable.
- The locations – the restaurants and bars are gorgeous and sophisticated.
- The comedy is fantastic there are many scenarios when I can’t help but burst out laughing. Scattered throughout the story is subtle humor, for example, realizing that Hyun Soo does random cleaning at his agency and gets mistaken for a cleaner. Another example is that the lack of meat present at the “welcoming” school function.
- I’m not the biggest fan of Joo Seo Yeon or rather how she is acted out. They rely on too much exaggerated acting and her often raising her voice. It’s a bit full-on and out of sync with the rest of the cast emotional energy. Her character’s story alone is not captivating and I often look forward to her scenes ending and watching the supporting characters’ stories.
- Seo Jon (younger brother) behavior is ridiculously immature for his age, the scenes with him are quite boring and shallow, but there are hints for character growth and will keep an eye out for that.
- The make-up is caked on, especially on Seo Yeon, the amount (particularly lipstick and blush) is inconsistent with the character. Other characters are also victims of this. It may just be how the lighting worked, but it is noticeable and distracting.
Who are the main characters? Which actors play them?
Joo Seo Yeon played by Oh Yeon Seo (female lead)
Lee Kang Woo played by Ahn Jae Hyun (male lead)
Kim Mi Kyung played by Kim Seul Gi (teacher and Joo’s bff)
Park Hyun Soo played by Heo Jung Min Kang Woo’s bff and agency owner)
Lee Min Hyuk played Gu Won (school doctor/undercover heir)
Joo Won Jae played by Min Woo Hyuk (Seo Yeon’s older brother)
Joo Won Suk played by Cha In Ha (Seo Yeon’s brother – bartender)
Joo Seo Joon played by Kim Jae Yong (Seo Yeon’s younger brother)
Lee Kang Hee (Kang Woo’s older sister)
Chairwomen Han played by Kim Young Ok
Theme: Don’t underestimate the linger hurt of a broken young heart, find work you enjoy and a significant other that compliments you.
What’s it good for: As an appetizer for a more hearty show. I watch this before tucking into an episode of Joy of Life.