Name: Sh**ting Stars
Writer/director: Choi Young Woo, Choi Yeon Seo / Lee Soo Hyun
Date: April 2022
Number of episodes: 16
Genre: Comedy, Romance, Entertainment Industry
Based on book/manga?: No.
Why did I press play? The plot and casting are irresistible – who can turn down a well made behind-the-scenes entertainment story.
Thoughts and observations:
It’s all around a fun drama! A classic K-Drama rom-com, but with a modern flare. It doesn’t feel copy-paste, nor does it try to do anything groundbreaking. It is what it is, and it’s enjoying itself. Even within only four episodes, there are major laugh out loud moments that are as funny as they are unexpected. The best one by far is the real reason Gong Tae Sung holds a grudge against Oh Han Byul and when he confronts her (I don’t want to give any spoiler) and when Han Byul slides across the stage and lands between Tae Sung and the security guard’s leg. These writers and director have a real flare for comedy.
- The writing! The first episode sucks you, even when there is so little information about the male lead. This illustrates that the story doesn’t simply rely on romance, but has another good things going for it.
- The supporting characters: each has their own unique and detailed storyline, although we just get to see snippets, it’s clear they fleshed these out the characters. (They can’t be substituted for cardboard cutouts – unlike some dramas!)
- As mentioned above – the humor! There is the full scale form of being amused to laughing out loud. For example, how absorbed some actors can get into their characters, even after their drama is finished airing.
- People are doing actual work, they are busy, and getting things done, and the work is a large part of the story, ranging from rookie artist, big time artist, drivers, managers, reporters, ect.
- Gong Tae Sung is fantastic! You’ll have to watch it to get the full feel. But he has so many facets, like being genuinely dedicated to his work in Africa, but also being calculating to get some attention before he returns. To being super sexy during photoshoots, to forgo all mystery as he pesters Han Byul.
What’s Not So Good
- The incessant bickering between Oh Han Byul and Gong Tae Sung. It slows down, but then it picks back up again.
Who are the main characters? Which actors play them?
Oh Han Byul played by Lee Sung Kyung (female lead)
Gong Tae Sung played by Kim Young Dae (male lead)
Kang Yoo Sung played by Yoon Jong Hoon (head of managers)
Park Yoon Hye played by Kim Yoon Hye (female lead in movie)
Jo Ki Peum played by Park So Jin (shy and new hire)
Do Soo Hyuk played by Lee Jung Shin (lawyer)
Theme: Work can be a crazy place!
What’s it good for: To have fun and relax!