Name: Qing Qin Zi Jin
Date: August 2020
Number of episodes: 40
Genre: Historical Fiction, Love, Friendship, school
Based on book/manga?: Yes, Gong Xue Has Bandits by Wu Yu
Why did I press play? The promotional art work and the an untranslated title intrigued me.
Thoughts and observations: This drama that I started watching spontaneously and it’s a total gem! Not unusual for dramas, the first episode is a little cheesy, but it just gets better and better.
- Qiu Chi character: Either Kris Wu brings this character to life, he embodied every nuances of this character. Consequently, there is no cheesiness or moment that make you cringe. Just through the tiniest actions we can see that he is highly competent and adores Ran Jaun. For example, the way he looks at her while sitting behind her right before her dad’s birthday party. He respects Ran Juan, even though he teases her and knows more about the world, he gives her breathing room to grow, make her own decisions, and takes her decisions seriously. He is also very good looking and a girl catches help but fan herself when his shirt is lifted and eight pack is revealed. This physique also makes it convincing that he is a highly competent martial artist. The scene when he first sees that Ru Xue is his room mate, without hesitation he initiates a fight, this details emphases that even though he is at the school incognito he is the head of a large gang. There is so much to say, but overall he is a fantastic and refreshing male lead.
- Qiu Chi and Ran Juan’s relationship: they are perfect for one another. Their chemistry and natural skin-ship is a delight to watch. He embodied such masculinity and her femininity, that the contrast created a perfect balance.
- Ran Juan is wonderful. She is compassionate, independent, caring and mischievous. She’d be a great friend!
- The awkwardly cute romance of the second leads.
- The plot is refreshing
- The four (or was it five?) fellow students that tried to unsuccessfully bully Qiu Chi, they create great comedy throughout.
- The wonderful introduction song and graphics. It’s builds great anticipation and sets the mood for the story.
What’s Not So Good
- Three of the villains: Ran Jaun stepmom, Yuan Zhi mothers are vicious with no redeeming qualities. It would be great if there was just a smidge of a redeeming quality. Ren Shu is diabolical and her behaviour and the actress’ poor acting skills are a frustrating watch. Every scene with her is annoying.
- It would of course have been great if there was no dubbing.
Who are the main characters? Which actors play them? ( Couldn’t track down most of the actors)
Luo Qiu Chi played by Kris Wu
Wen Ran Juan played by Rain Lu
Hang Ru Xue played by Xie Bin Bin – head of military who get demoted
Wen Ren Shu by Fortuna Yu – Annoying older sister
Fu Yuan Zhi played by Huang Xuan Wen – guys who likes Ran Juan
Wang Hai Yang played by Joseph Wei
Theme: Learn to enjoy your own life.
What’s it good for: Anytime you feel like a lighthearted, well rounded drama with a unique plot.